Sunday, October 12, 2008

Short stories and AR questions

I really like the short story unit we're doing. I actually like stories that are really twisted and creepy, kind of like Lamb to the Slaughter or stories that have an unexpected ending because it leaves the reader really shocked. I really enjoyed reading Lamb to the Slaughter because the ending just left the reader hanging. The reader has to imagine what happens next and figure out the character of the wife. Is she psychotic? Does she have a mental disorder? I think the author was wise to leave the reader hanging because that just makes the story even more creepy and scary. I thought she had a mental disorder because her giggling at the end was a symptom for a mental disorder I learned about while peer editing in writing class. I also did not know Roald Dahl was capable of writing such scary stories because usually he writes books for children. His novels are kind of weird too and have a lot of imaginary creatures involved.

I read Mrs. Sen's today between getting my haircut, shoe shopping, lunch, and food shopping. I could really relate to what Mrs. Sen was going through with being in a completely new country. She always compares things to the way things were in her country. She always goes, "In India they always had..." I do that all the time and I'm sure people get really annoyed and just want to tell me to shut up, I really can't help doing it. I guess Mrs. Sen and I both miss our homes too much.

Question on the AR reading test...
when is it going to be set up? Because i really need to return my library book, i'm tired of renewing it :p

1 comment:

Ms. Lillo said...

You can return your book. We'll start doing your AR tests with the next one!